Saturday, November 1, 2008

Casa Grande Triathlon


This was my third triathlon. I did train for this one three years ago, when we lived in UT. I wasn't able to make it. The day before the tri Ike recieved 2nd degree burns on 10% of his body and was in the burn center for 5 days. I was prepared for that triathlon. I trained 4-5 days a week, swim, bike and ran, did resistance training and stretching. I even got down to a 9 minute mile running, which is great for me. I was ready for that tri. I didn't make it and was ready to do one so I talked Jaynann into doing a women's tri in UT the following May. I loved that tri. It was very organized. And I loved that it was all women. They gave people numbers based on their swimming time, so it was and easy start. Then we did another tri in June. I was very sluggish on that second tri and even contemplated not finishing. A couple of months later I found out that I was pregnant with LT, that why I didn't have much energy for the second tri. That was summer of 2006.

I had LT early in 2007 and decided to train for The Provo half marathon. As soon as I recovered from my c-section I startd running. My 40 extra pounds that I lost before I got pregnant with LT, returned. I was training for the half marathon at a super slow pace a 14 or 15 minute mile. I can walk that fast. That half-marathon was last August (2007). I ran the first 10 miles, then walked and jogged the last 3. Needless to say, I have a half marathon on my to do list. I need to complete one running the whole way.

Here's my excuse about why I didn't exercise for the past year.
After the half marathon we put our house up for sale, I spent an entire two weeks cleaning and decorating my house. I barely ate or slept. Then I spent the next couple of months trying to keep it clean. We sold our house in November. I spent the next month packing. We moved back to AZ a couple of days before Christmas. Then between Jan and the end of May I searched almost daily for a house, while Troy and I were trying to start a business. I didn't take the time to exercise. Then it took me a couple of months to unpack and then we went to UT for two weeks in August.

I knew I wanted to do the Casa Grande Tri. And I knew that I would need to start training at the beginning of September. So I signed up for the tri knowing I would start training if I signed up. My training consisted of riding my bike once a week and running once a week. I just couldn't motivate myself to do anymore. I did do one training swim this week because I needed to know my time.
ANOTHER EXCUSE and an APOLOGY coming up.
On Wednesday I swam. I did the 400 meters ( the length of the race) three times. It took me 7 min 30-45 sec to swim it in a 25 meter pool. Today at the race the swim was in a pool a swimmer starting every ten seconds. The start was not organized at all. I didn't want to be stuck behind some swimming slower then me, because it happened before in another tri and it was frustrating. So I put myself close to the beginning of the 7-9 minute group. I finally got to swim. I was passed by at least 7 or 8 people. When I finally saw my time it was 10 min 30 sec?!? Sorry to all the people I held up. Not that anyone of those triathletes are going to read this, but I felt bad. I don't know how my swim was so bad. My bike time was just a little longer then I expected. My run time was actually decent for me considering my lack of sufficient training. I'll do better next.

I think doing the triathlon and giving birth are pretty similar. Both very much anticipated and lots of preparation. Then during the event I cant wait for it to be over and wonder why I am doing this. Then afterwards I've forgotten all the pain and I can't wait for next time.

Even though it wasn't my best performance I'm glad I did it to get me exercising after a year of inactivity. Thanks Reilly for getting me motivated to do the tri and training with me.

10 comments:

Janan said...

You go! I am envious! I would love to do a half marathon or triathlon. I have been so OUT of exercise for so long, I would never make it!!

Way to go!!

Stacy said...

My favorite line is where you said afterwards you forget all the pain and you can't wait to do it again!!! I would love to do a half marathon with you someday! It's a goal of mine somewhere in me! Congrats!!

Karla said...

Hey Congrats Tracey, I'm so glad you did it! I wish I could've been there too. Maybe next year :)

Julie said...

I can't even imagine doing a triathalon!!! so go you!!!

sorry your bowls got stolen :)

Jellybean babies said...

Yay for our one day swim training! We have to do another race again.

bonnie said...

YOU ROCK!!! Tracy you are amazing, way to go.

Anonymous said...

YYYEEEAAAAHHHHHHHH for you!!!! i am SO proud of you! you finished are you kidding me - no room for dissapointment! the casa was my favorite - should we try the same or a different one next year! I miss it and wish I had been there right by your side. one of those 'love/hate' relationships like you were saying. I am truly so proud of you and that you even attempted with all that everyday gives you! I remember that call from you the night Ike got burned - that was truly tragic. what a blessing that he is ok and a couple years later you got to finish what you started. good for you!

Jaynann said...

Congrats! I will always remember that first tri. I had such a good time with you.

Oh, and you are excused...my goodness that was a whole lot of stuff going on. Times and seasons for things I guess.

Keep rockin' it!

Jill * Zane said...

Good for you Tracey!! That is awesome and you should be proud of yourself.

Honey Girl said...

WAY TO GO! I think the swimming part is funny...it just shows you are a positive person and were expecting the best!:) Any mom of little kids who can get out there and do this kind of stuff amazes me. I need lessons.