Saturday, September 20, 2008

School this week

Big Q asked to learn how to play chess. I don't know how to play. Troy tried to teach me a few years ago, but it didn't stick. So we looked up the rules online and got started. We are missing a few pieces. I wrote on little pieces of paper the names of the pieces we were missing and we used the pieces of paper to play with. One night we even had a late night chess night.
We got some solar ovens in our store this week and we bought one. We tested it out yesterday and baked some bread in it. The picture above is Big Q cooking a loaf of bread in a solar oven that he made. It didn't exactly work. After my bread was done in our solar oven we moved his bread over to finish cooking.
We went to the Constitution Fair tonight. It was lots of fun. Except that I missed an hour of it. Walking into the fair my flip flop broke. I didn't want to go barefoot so I took Girlfriend and LT and left to go buy something to put on my feet. I didn't get back to the fair until 7:30. There were games and fireworks. The kids talked to Betsy Ross and John Adam. Betsy was surprised the Big Q knew that she sewed the first American flag.

I love homeschooling. I love when my kids remember something we talked about or when they ask me questions I ask them. Big Q knew I was reading the book Little Britches for my class. He asked me how far I was. After I told him that I already finished, he asked me what my favorite part was. Then we started talking about the book. I don't know I'm so proud of him for that, but I was.

No comments: