Thursday, March 27, 2008

Prayers are needed

When we lived in gilbert before we moved to UT I had a great neighber, Heather Howard. She is also our realtor. She sold our house for us when we were in UT. Now she is helping us find a house a again. She is so patient. I am estimating she has taken us to at least 100 houses since December. Plus before we moved down she went to see a bunch of houses for us. She is a good friend and I am so thankful for her. She accepts me for who I am. She respects that I have a different opinion than hers in religion and education. We do both agree that as parents we are the expert on our families, therefore are the most qualified to make decisions for our families. She is such a hard working wife and mother.

I have so much love and appreciation her that I would like to ask for your prayers for her brother and family. Her 30 year old brother (who is married and has 2 children) has just been diagnosed with lukemia. I don't have all the details and I don't know much about lukemia. At one point they thought that he had both types of lukemia. They just found out that it is one type and the worst prognosis. I am going to post this part of an he sent to her and she sent to many others. He is trying to find another doctor in the Seattle area to treat him.

We had a meeting today at Fred Hutch where I was planning on being treated. The doctor that we met was callus, insensitive, arrogant, and pessimistic. In other words we didn't like him. Right now we're very confused and unsure about where to go for treatment. I will not be seen by someone who doesn't believe in hope, faith and positive thinking as critical to beating this, so we won't be seeing that guy for sure. Now we have a bad feeling about Fred Hutch. Our thought is that maybe if it seems the standard protocol will be effective on me, we would be just as well going somewhere we feel so far very comfortable about (Virginia Mason in Seattle). I don't know what they do different at Fred Hutch than anywhere else, I am still trying to get that figured out. There are definite positives in having the opportunity of experimental drugs at Fred Hutch, it's just that now we will be delayed some amount of time to be seen by another doctor there, and we feel there have been some signs pointing us toward Virginia Mason.

It will be difficult for us to figure this out on our own so we're asking that people please direct your positive thinking or praying towards helping us know what to do.

At this point we don't know any more info than we did, besides one doctor who will not be treating me.

As an FYI, the doctor today informed me that I should plan on going on permanent disability and plan on 6 months of treatment (5-6 chemo series'), as a STARTING SPOT (best-case scenario). That, of course, came as a huge surprise to me, as I have been prepared for 2 series to begin with, not 6. Of course I don't want to short-change myself and I will go through whatever is needed, but the news was very surprising to me, and I am not willing to accept that at this point.

I guess this is going to be quite a roller-coaster. We've been so sure what our plan was as far as where to get treated, and now it's very unclear what we should do.

Your positivity and strength is much appreciated,

Ryan

No comments: