Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Another update

Today I met with the doctor who will be managing my treatment at Fred> Hutch, accompanied by our family friend Lowell Neufeld. He had some even> more surprising news than I have heard so far. After review by several> pathologists over the weekend, they have come to the conclusion that I> have an even more rare form of leukemia than previously thought.> Apparently at Fred Hutch it is seen once or twice per year. For those of> you who have been researching this a bit, it is not AML or ALL, but a> leukemia of my stem cells, and is called Undifferentiated Leukemia.> Basically, to summarize, stem cells are supposed to make 2 different> types defense mechanisms against infection. One is the blood (white> blood cells), the other is the lymphatic system. The type of leukemia> that affects the way the blood cells are formed in adults is called AML.> The type of leukemia that affects the lymphatic system is called ALL. MY> type of leukemia is affecting both. >

So, I do not qualify for the experimental drug they had planned on> signing me up to be in the test group for. Since this is such a rare> situation there is not a large amount of data they can draw from as far> as treatment plans. What they will do is basically try to cover as many> bases as possible by giving chemo that has been shown effective for AML> and ALL independently, and see how that works.

So the plan is that I will check into the hospital Wednesday morning to> get a catheter put in for them to be able to do all of the treatment> through, they will give me some medication to help my body prepare for> the chemo, do a test on my heart, and we'll begin the chemo treatment on> Thursday. The cocktail I'll be having is a 5 day treatment, and I'll be> in the hospital for about 3 weeks. Then they'll see if the cancer is> gone from my bone marrow. If not, they start over with that treatment> and a new 3 week hospital stay. If the cancer is gone, I'll have 3 more> 5 day treatments, once per month (It is likely that I can recover from> those treatments at home), then proceed to a bone marrow transplant.> Apparently the bone marrow transplant is quite a bit rougher on my body> to recover from than the chemo, so once I get that, they recommend I> plan on a 6 month recovery before returning to work. So all in all,> about a year or so of treatment.> >

> One point of interest from my meeting with the doctor today was when I> asked him if there any possibility of a misdiagnosis, due to how rare it> would be that I could get this, and how well I feel. He kind of sat back> in his chair and did say that he was just a bit thrown off by how> healthy I look and feel. There is a test we have been waiting for> results on that will tell the doctors about something called my> 'cytogenetics,' which is basically a test of all of my chromosomes.> Among other things, that will indicate how likely it is that I'll> respond favorably to the chemo. He said that if my cytogenetics come> back with any big surprises (meaning they look very good), he may throw> the brakes on just to make sure we're heading down the right path. He> also pointed out that a situation like that would be unbelievably> unusual. But I've already given them a bit of a rubix cube to figure> out, so there is a shot, in our mind, of some amazing fluke (dare I say> 'miracle?'). In ANY case, there is a serious problem with my white blood> cells and my lymphatic system, so it's not like it's Mono or something> 'easy.'> > Your prayers and positive thinking continue to give us strength, both> spiritually and physically. Hopefully some day you all will be able to> experience the feeling of peace it brings to understand and accept that> we can not control everything in our lives. Of course we will continue> to make the best decisions possible based on the options available to> us. We just have an amazingly warm feeling that everything is going to> be OK. It's certain that definition of 'OK' is completely unknown,> however we think that it means I'll be cured, and it's going to take a> whole lot to convince us otherwise!!!> > Thank you again for everything,

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I am so sorry to hear all this. My prayers are with you all. On a happy note. I was glad to meet a fellow New Yorker. Good luck on the new business and house hunting

Loni said...

We will be praying and thinking about you. Please keep us updated. It is truly amazing when you realize that nothing is in our control. There is a peace knowing the Lord is in charge.