Saturday, April 26, 2008

Polygamy

Living in AZ and UT for the past 14 years I've been surrounded by many of the same faith. Growing up in upstate New York most people didn't know what mormon or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Saints was. In High School I had someone ask me "your muslim right?". He just knew that I was a member of a religion that started with an M that there weren't a lot of in our small town. Or the other thing people remembered was polygomy and I had to explain that we don't believe in plural marriage.

Troy was working in our store most of the day. He had someone come in asking about food storage. He was not LDS (Latter Day Saint). Troy said a couple of times that the man made reference to what is happening with the Reformed Church and LDS. Troy did explain that the two are not affiliated.

I found this statement on the lds.org newsroom.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reiterates that it has no affiliation whatsoever with any polygamous groups, including the polygamous sect in Eldorado, Texas. The Church discontinued polygamy officially in 1890, but more than a century later some news and Internet reports fail to draw clear distinctions between the Church and practicing polygamous sects.

No comments: